Program Requirements

What happens if I drop or withdrawal from classes after I receive financial aid?

Anytime a student drops or is withdrawn from a class, they MUST contact their coordinator immediately. There are consequences for not completing classes. They vary depending on the situation and status of a student’s GPA and completion percentage.

  • ŸStudents must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 – depending on when in the semester a student withdraws, it may result in an F and impact their GPA, as well as their academic standing with NC Reach.
  • ŸStudent must complete 67% of the classes they register for – failure to do so will put them on academic probation and/or lose their ability to receive financial aid or NC Reach.

Is there funding for summer classes?

Summer school funding is not always available. When it is, only students, in good academic standing, who attended both fall and spring semesters are eligible.

What happens if a student does not maintain Satisfactory Progress?

The first time a student falls below a term GPA of 2.0 or 67% completion percentage, withdraws from a class (W) or fails a class (F), the student is required to be on academic probation the next time funded.

If the student does not raise their term GPA to above a 2.0 and complete 67% of their classes the following term, they will be suspended from receiving NC Reach funding for one full year (two consecutive semesters). They may also risk losing their Pell and ETV funding.

What happens when a student is on academic probation?

NC Reach Coordinators work more intensely with students to help them improve their GPA to a 2.0 or better over the course of the academic term. Coordinators will be in contact with students every two weeks and may require midterm grades before being able to receive their second NC Reach disbursements.

If the student successfully completes their probation semester and meets all academic requirements, they able to return to the program the following semester and receive funds.

If they do not meet all academic requirements while on probation, they would lose their ability to return to the program and access funding for one year (two semesters), during which time they would have to attend out of pocket (pay for their own classes) and meet all academic requirements on their own.

Areas of focus while on probation include:

  • Understanding the process for successful course completion, including note taking, preparing for exams, writing papers and other study techniques.
  • Utilizing on-campus student support services such as tutoring centers, math and language labs, and peer mentors.
  • Increasing their confidence in their ability to achieve academically.
  • Learning how to continue their satisfactory academic performance in subsequent terms as a result of the student skills they learn.
  • Fostering persistence in their postsecondary aspirations to complete their degree, diploma or certification requirements.

How do I earn funding back if I’ve lost it?

If a student has lost funding due to not complying with program and academic requirements, they can earn back the ability to return and receive funding. To do so the student must attend for two consecutive semesters, out of pocket and meet all academic requirements (minimum GPA of 2.0 and 67% course completion percentage).

Once a student has successfully completed two semesters on their own, they need to submit their official transcript for that period and reapply.

Posted in: FAQPage